How to Stitch a Churidar Step-by-Step With Pictures

Discussion in 'Sewing / Tailoring / Stitching' started by starbliss, Nov 28, 2017.

1. starbliss

starbliss Webmaster Administrator Moderator New wings

Admin Post
    Measurements and Cutting the Cloth

Below, I've included pictures to accompany each step of how I do the cutting and stitching.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    In the two photos above, you can see the cotton material I used. The fabric for the top has a different color and pattern than the fabric for the bottom.
    [​IMG]
    Take the material for the top and fold it into quarters as shown in the figure above.
    [​IMG]
    Take a correctly fitted, finished churidar, fold it, and place it on top of the material as shown, to transfer its measurements onto the fabric.

2. starbliss

Admin Post
    [​IMG]
    When you outline the churidar to mark the material, leave extra space for the width of the seams that you will stitch. In the picture above, you can see the material marked with blue chalk.
    [​IMG]
    Cut the top portion along the marked measurements.
    [​IMG]
    Now, fold the remaining top material in half, and mark a portion for the sleeve.
    [​IMG]
    Cut the measured sleeve along the markings.

3. starbliss

Admin Post
    [​IMG]
    This is how the sleeve should look, once the cutting is done.
    [​IMG]
    Now, mark the neck opening on the piece you have for the top. Don't forget to place an extra piece of material along that portion while marking, since you need to stitch it onto the top inside out to make the facing for the neck opening.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The two above photos should give you an idea of how the extra piece and top portions will look, once you finish cutting along the marked line.

4. starbliss

Admin Post
    [​IMG]
    Now it's time to outline the bottom (or the pants) of your churidar set.
    [​IMG]
    Cut out the material for the pants along the marks. The legs are cut extra wide at the top to allow for pleats, with an extra piece for the waistband.
    Stitching

Now that you've completed the marking and cutting portion of this process, it's time to stitch. Please see the below pictures and instructions.
    [​IMG]
    I used my electrical sewing machine to get the stitching done. I've been using this one for four years. Let’s start with the bottom portion.
    [​IMG]
    Create pleats in the middle, at the hip, when you stitch each pair of top and bottom pieces together.

5. starbliss

Admin Post
    [​IMG]
    Do the other leg the same way.
    [​IMG]
    Now, join both legs as shown in the figure above. Include a fold at the top with a bit of room for the cord that ties the pants.
    [​IMG]
    You've now completed your bottom portion. To add my own personal flair, I sewed on a folded piece of the top material as a decorative detail along the bottom of the leg. You can do this for yours as well by folding the same and stitching.
    [​IMG]
    As you'll see below, I took a small strip of the material from the bottom and used it as piping along the hem of the sleeves.